The Port Arthur plant was originally part of a larger refinery built by Gulf Oil in 1901. The first cyclohexane unit started operation in 1960, and the ethylene unit came online in 1970. The facility was purchased by Chevron Corporation in 1985, and the refinery portion of the plant was sold to Clark (Premcor) in 1995. In 1997, the ethylene unit was expanded to world-scale capacity. In 2004, cyclohexane operations were expanded with the completion and subsequent startup of a large, world-scale cyclohexane production unit. The facility is located 90 miles east of Houston and 18 miles south of Beaumont, Texas.
Products made at our Port Arthur plant include:
We believe in working safely or not at all. That’s why safety is our top priority at all our facilities. We create products and services that make life better for people around the world — both today and tomorrow. We strive to manufacture, handle, transport and dispose of chemical products 100 percent safely.
Chevron Phillips Chemical is committed to being a good neighbor to the communities where we operate. Part of our corporate vision and mission is to be an employer and neighbor of choice because we care about each other, our work, our customers and our communities.
The Port Arthur Plant actively supports the community through:
- United Way of Mid and South Jefferson County efforts towards fighting poverty, investing in education, and improving community health
- Junior Achievement of the Golden Triangle programs help students learn business, economics and financial literacy
- Charity Golf Tournament benefiting Buckner Children and Family Services has raised over $3.4 million for abused and neglected children in southeast Texas
- Port Arthur Education Foundation supporting scholarships and teacher classroom grants
- Teacher Internships through Workforce Solutions of Southeast Texas
- Lamar Port Arthur scholarships
The Port Arthur facility cares deeply about the environment and aims to be a leader in sustainability in the community and beyond.