Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LP
10001 Six Pines Drive
The Woodlands, TX 77380
On July 1, 2000, Chevron Corporation and Phillips Petroleum Company, now Phillips 66, combined their worldwide petrochemical businesses, excluding Chevron’s oronite additives business, to form Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LLC. Chevron and Phillips 66 each own 50 percent of Chevron Phillips Chemical.
- Chevron Phillips Chemical is one of the world’s top producers of olefins and polyolefins and a leading supplier of aromatics, alpha olefins, styrenics, specialty chemicals, piping, and proprietary plastics.
- Chevron Phillips Chemical produces chemical products that are essential to manufacturing over 70,000 consumer and industrial products.
- Chevron Phillips Chemical, with its joint venture partners, operates 36 manufacturing and research centers.
- Chevron Phillips Chemical is headquartered in The Woodlands, Texas (north of Houston).
- Chevron Phillips Chemical has approximately 5,000 employees worldwide.
Chevron Phillips Chemical, with its joint venture partners, currently has 34 production facilities located in the United States, Colombia, Singapore, China, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Belgium.
- Chevron Phillips Chemical is studying the possibility of expanding its normal alpha olefins (NAO) capacity – targeting at least a 20 percent increase in a phased approach – at its Cedar Bayou Chemical Complex in Baytown, Texas. Construction would be targeted to commence in the first quarter of 2014, and the project would be completed in the fourth quarter of 2015. Final approval would be sought in the third quarter of 2013.
- The company is nearing completion of the expansion of a Natural Gas Liquids (NGL) Fractionator Complex. With the expansion, the NGL fractionation unit will increase capacity by approximately 22,000 barrels per day or a 19 percent increase over current capacity.
- Construction is under way on a project to build the world’s largest on-purpose 1-hexene plant capable of producing up to 250,000 metric tons (551,000,000 pounds) per year. The project is anticipated to start up during the first quarter of 2014.
- In March 2011, Chevron Phillips Chemical announced that it plans to pursue a project to construct a 1.5 million metric tons/year (3.3 billion pounds/year) ethane cracker and ethylene derivatives facilities in the United States Gulf Coast region. The two new polyethylene facilities would each have an annual capacity of 500,000 metric tons (1.1 billion pounds) and would utilize Chevron Phillips Chemical’s proprietary Loop Slurry Technology.
- Saudi Polymers Company (SPCo) and its joint venture partner, National Petrochemical Company (Petrochem) safely achieved start-up and commercial production for its new facilities in Al-Jubail, Saudi Arabia. The integrated SPCo petrochemicals complex includes world-class operating units that are capable of producing Ethylene (1,220 kmta), Propylene (440 kmta), Polyethylene (1,100 kmta), Polypropylene (400 kmta), Polystyrene (200 kmta) and 1-Hexene (100 kmta).
- Chevron Phillips Chemical owns three world-scale plants in the State of Qatar, including Q-Chem, a world-scale ethylene, polyethylene and 1-hexene complex; RLOC, one of the world's largest ethane crackers; and Q-Chem II, a world-scale olefins and polyolefins complex.
Research & Development
Chevron Phillips Chemical has two research and development centers worldwide. These facilities provide full-scale petrochemical and polymer research including new catalyst development, product and process development, and commercial process support.
- Chevron Phillips Chemical employs more than 250 scientists, researchers, and engineers in its research facilities.
- Facilities conduct a full range of research activities, including laboratory/bench and pilot scale experimentation, analytical and mechanical testing, patent support, and technical and service support for customers worldwide.
- Chevron Phillips Chemical’s state-of-the-art plastics technical centers are equipped with the latest processing and testing technology for molding and extruding of polymer and copolymer resins.
- Chevron Phillips Chemical currently holds more than 2,400 patents and patent applications.
- Chevron Phillips Chemical’s loop slurry process for HDPE production is one of the most widely licensed processes in the world with more than 80 commercial reactor facilities utilizing this technology.
- Bartlesville, Oklahoma
- Kingwood, Texas
Chevron Phillips Chemical’s product offerings are divided into two business units. Click here for our products diagram. The following charts provide a breakdown of Chevron Phillips Chemical's assets and sales by business unit:
- Olefins & Polyolefins - Ethylene, Polyethylene, Normal Alpha Olefins, Polyalphaolefins, Propylene and High-Density Polyethylene Pipe, Conduit and Pipe Fittings.
- Specialties, Aromatics & Styrenics - Cyclohexane, Styrene, Polystyrene, Benzene, K-Resin® styrene-butadiene copolymers (SBC), Mining Chemicals, Soltex® Drilling Mud Additive, Scentinel® Mercaptans, Specialty Organosulfur Compounds, Racing Fuels, Ryton® polyphenylene sulfide (PPS), E-Series™ Acetylene Hydrogenation Catalysts
- Aromax® benzene production technology is the lowest cost process for on-purpose production of benzene.
- K-Resin® styrene-butadiene copolymer (SBC) is the number one brand of SBC in the world.
- Marlex® polyethylene is a premium extrusion and rigid packaging resin.
- MarFlex® polyethylene is a superior flexible packaging resin.
- Ryton® polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) is a high performance engineering polymer known for dimensional stability and resistance to corrosive and high-temperature environments.
- Soltex® drilling mud additive is a high-temperature/high-pressure fluid loss control additive for water-based muds.
- Scentinel® Gas Odorants are added to natural gas to give it a distinctive smell.
- Adhesives and Sealants
- Building and Construction
- Chemical manufacturing
- Healthcare and Medical
- Imaging and Photography
- Oil, Gas, and Mining
- Paint and Coatings
- Personal Care and Cosmetics
- Plastics and Rubber